Strictly Business is an event put on by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) and is one of the best resources I’ve found to learn best practices and critical business skills every professional photographer should employ to excel in the business of photography. The last time I attended ASMP’s Strictly Business event I wrote up a quick review with in a few hours of the close of the event. Back then, 3 years ago, blogging and social media were not yet on the radar of ASMP and I think I took the organizers of the event by surprise. Now ASMP is running their own blog, fittingly named Strictly Business, and extending the value of the Strictly Business conference year round with insightful posts to help photographers succeed. This year ASMP is holding Strictly Business 3 in three cities: Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Chicago and it is open to everyone (ASMP members and non-members). That being said I wanted to share with you, a twist on the traditional review, a list of 11 reasons ASMP Strictly Business 3 should be in your future:
11 Reasons ASMP Strictly Business 3 Should Be In Your Future
- You’ll meet friendly open professional photographers who want you to succeed
- Everyone is approachable. Everyone!
- You’ll learn best practices on negotiation, estimating, licensing, copyright, web & traditional marketing, still & video production, portfolio building, etc. from expert organizers/mentors
- You’ll have the opportunity to learn something relevant to every niche of professional photography
- You’ll learn about tactics that work not just from organizers/mentors, but also from your peers in attendance
- You’ll network and build a circle of peers who are serious about succeeding
- Perhaps most importantly you’ll learn what mistakes everyone makes and how to avoid making more
- It will take you out of your comfort zone
- You will leave wiser than when arrived
- It will be your wake up call on how to be a professional photographer whether its new to you, you’re in a slump or you need a refresher.
- You will leave motivated
Lastly I want to thank ASMP for their generous invitation to take part in their New Business Models discussion panel organized by Shannon Fagan. I had a great time sharing my ideas, hopes and concerns and most of all receiving feedback from numerous photographers whom I hold in high esteem. I had a great time learning, sharing and meeting others. Once again Strictly Business turned out to be an incredibly valuable experience.
[tags]ASMP, photography, best practices, business[/tags]