Last year I kicked off the first year of the Buying Prints from Your Favorite Photographers blog project and was really happy with the participation, but even happier with the prints I purchased. In the hope of building upon last years effort I’m kicking off another blog project with the exact same goals. For details see below…
“It’s not a photo until its a print“
One of the unique aspects of digital photography is that we’re now able to enjoy photographic work with out viewing it in printed form. More so now than ever before supporting a photographer is shown almost exclusively online through photo forums, blogs, and other online communities. While viewing photographs online is easy and relatively inexpensive it is a hollow experience by comparison to holding an actual print from a photographer you respect and admire.
The goal of this project is to introduce fine art photography, photography books, print exchanges, and other photography related products to photography fans of all walks of life. It is also to spur photography fans to think in terms of financially supporting talented photographers so they can continue to do what they love.
What This Project Entails:
- Find photographs from photographers that you respect and admire.
- Purchase a photograph or photographs from these photographers. Spend within your means. Ideally try to purchase 1 to 3 photographs.
- Write about the experience (buying, viewing, etc) on your web site, blog, Flickr page, etc.
- Participants should then send me a link to their write up (see details below)
- I’ll consolidate a list of links to the write ups of everyone that took part in early December on my blog and distribute it.
What You Can Do To Make This Project A Success
- Contact photographers that you may or may not know.
- Point them to this post and provide them background to your print request.
- Even if you have little to spare inquire about a discount or an alternate product to purchase such as notecards, calendars, proof print, etc. Any participation is better than no participation. The goal is to obtain a physical copy of photographs you like.
- Alternatively if you’re a photographer it is not uncommon to conduct print exchanges, where photographers exchange equivalent prints. Not every photographer may do this so don’t be offended if you approach someone who is not interested in such an exchange.
- If you’re a photographer consider providing a discount to project participants.
My discount: All 5 x 7 & 8 x 12 prints are $19.99 & $29.99 respectively.
For every two people who buy prints and provide you as a reference I’ll give you a free 8 x 12 print of your choice. Search for you photo
- Spread the word about this project.
Before the conclusion of this project on December 4th December 11th , 2009 write a blog post highlighting the photographs you’ve acquired and share thoughts of your experience in becoming a fine art print owner. Send me a link to your blog post and I’ll post the results the week of December 7th.
How to send in your link to your blog post:
- Access my Contact page
- In the subject line type “Favorite Photographer Prints”
- In the message put the name of your site, web address, link to your “Favorite Photographer Print” blog entry.
PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR BLOG LINK AS A COMMENT TO THIS ENTRY.
I look forward to seeing your submission!
[tags]Photography, Fine Art, Prints, Photo Project[/tags]